Monday, December 29, 2008

on deep sea creatures

one mile below the water surface I can find clear animals that emit neon lights if I shine a red light upon them. globe-eyes made of plastic, they swim around, up and down, looking at me in the dark. at night, when i fall asleep, i think i make my way down to the bottom of the sea. i scrape my foot on rocks, and i meet pipe worms that use bacteria to convert hydrogen sulfide, or methane, into some kind of energy - whose tentacles carry hemoglobin to bring oxygen to the bacteria (the whole apparatus stained a bloody color). Surrounding all this, in peace, in a black sea, in all three dimensions, I can go any which way I please. and still, it will be dark, life away from the sun, self-sustaining, independent. the life down here doesn't need any people. happiness without a model. without God at the bottom of the sea.

1 comment:

sal paradise said...

this i s good, i like this a good deal. goody good. good